This recipe came from Cake Man Raven and is the BEST Red Velvet Cake EVER!! The buttermilk gives a tangy flavor and adds extra moisture to this dense rich cake.
Southern Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This recipe is from Cake Man Raven (Raven Patrick De'Sean Dennis III) and is the BEST red velvet cake I've ever had! Paired with a delicious classic cream cheese icing is the best combo.
- 2 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 T. Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 C. Canola Oil
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 T. Red Food Coloring liquid
- 1 tsp. White Distilled Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare three 9" round cake pans with parchment paper lining the bottom and lightly spray the sides with cooking spray.
- Add flour, soda, salt & cocoa powder to a mixing bowl and sift ingredients together.
- Add sugar & all wet ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for 30 seconds on low.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the sugar and wet ingredient mixture until fully added.
- Turn mixer speed to medium-high and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the three prepared 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling racks for 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, use a sharp serrated knife to level the tops and OPTIONAL sprinkle lightly with simple syrup.
- Wrap cakes tightly with clear food service film and chill for at least 30 minutes - 1 hour before frosting.
Pairs well with classic cream cheese frosting! If using 8" round pans, you will need to increase the baking time to 35-38 minutes.