This recipe came from Cake Man Raven and is the BEST Red Velvet Cake EVER!! The buttermilk gives a tangy flavor and adds extra moisture to this dense rich cake.
You may also want to grab a larger container of red gel food coloring, since this recipe needs a generous amount to achieve the best color! Here’s a link to my favorite brand: Dyecraft Liquid Red Gel Food Coloring
For more information on starting or growing your own baking business: Join Cake Biz Bootcamp!
Southern Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare three 9" round cake pans with parchment paper lining the bottom and lightly spray the sides with cooking spray.
- Add flour, soda, salt & cocoa powder to a mixing bowl and sift ingredients together.
- Add sugar & all wet ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for 30 seconds on low.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the sugar and wet ingredient mixture until fully added.
- Turn mixer speed to medium-high and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the three prepared 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling racks for 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, use a sharp serrated knife to level the tops and OPTIONAL sprinkle lightly with simple syrup.
- Wrap cakes tightly with clear food service film and chill for at least 30 minutes - 1 hour before frosting.