–Pin it For Later
This recipe originated from Lauren Kitchens and is the ONLY meringue buttercream recipe I use these days!
Modified Swiss Meringue Buttercream
This icing is so velvety-smooth that it spreads so easily. You virtually never have to worry about it tearing crumbs from your cake! It is also absolutely delicious and my favorite part is that it is not too sweet. For this reason, I love to use it underneath fondant, which is very sweet. It also pipes beautifully! If you want nice borders on a cake, or if you are piping rosettes onto cupcakes, this icing works like magic!
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 4.2 ounces Pasteurized Egg Whites I buy these in a carton
- 1.5 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 16 ounces Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 pounds Salted Butter, softened
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add egg whites, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed with the paddle attachment until fully incorporated. The mixture will resemble royal icing.
- Turn the mixer to full speed and add the softened butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Once all butter is added, leave mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes until buttercream is light and fluffy.
- NOTES: Use immediately, or put in airtight container. Store at room temp (68-74 degrees F) for up to 2 weeks. Store in the fridge for up to 2 months. Store in freezer for up to 6 months. You will need to warm it gently back to room temp and re-whip for 5 minutes is not using it immediately.
- You can add gel color, flavorings of your choice or melted chocolate for a chocolate buttercream.
Goes great with my Wedding White Cake! Click Here
You may also like this article: “What Kind of Frosting Should You Use?”
Have you tried Modified Swiss Meringue Buttercream? Share your tips!
For more information on starting or growing your own baking business: Join Cake Biz Bootcamp!